I learned to make handmade tortellini thanks to the grandmother of a friend of mine.
The funny thing is that I met her in Dubai! She came from Bologna – the motherland of tortellini, ragù, and many other typical Italian recipes – with a rolling pin in her suitcase. This was her first flight ever!
When you see this kind of thing you understand that nothing is impossible… not even making handmade tortellini in Dubai! So, wherever you are, let’s start kneading ;)
Ingredients for 16 people
for the filling
– 700g of finely ground veal
– 500g pork loin finely ground
– 400g of mortadella finely ground
– 350g grated Parmesan cheese
– 3 large eggs
– a sprinkling of nutmeg
– a pinch of salt
for the dough
– 15 small eggs (or 12 large eggs)
– 1.5kg flour 00
Equipment: rolling pin
1) Prepare the filling:
(Both meat and mortadella must be finely ground, if possible ask at your butcher to grind everything twice).
– Sauté in a fry pan the meat (veal and loin) with olive oil for a few minutes.
– Combine all ingredients in a mixer until the dough is smooth: veal ground, loin and mortadella, grated parmesan cheese and eggs. Add a sprinkling of nutmeg, and a pinch of salt according to your taste.
2) Prepare Tortellini:
– In a large bowl or on a work surface, combine all ingredients for the dough: 15 eggs and 1.5 kg of flour 00. Knead well with your hand until you get a smooth and uniform dough.
– Divide the dough into 3-4 balls, cover them with a clean cloth to keep it from drying out, and start working the first ball with a rolling pin: rull it out until you have a sheet of paper-thin pasta.
– Once stretched the dough, cut it in strips and then into small squares.
– Place a small quantity of filling into the center of each square.
– Fold the square into a triangle. Press tightly to seal. Place the base of the triangle on your finger and wrap the two corners around your finger with a slight pressure to seal (watch the video).
– Remove the tortellini from your finger and place it on a lightly floured tray. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
– Cook the tortellini in the boiling meat broth (previously prepared) for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they float to the surface (the cooking time vary depending on the thickness of the sheet. Taste one to check for doneness).
Tip: If you want to make tortellini for less people, it takes 1 kg of flour 00 for 10 eggs.