Kale Pesto is a nice alternative to basil. Kale has its own strong taste, so to balance it I put roasted cherry tomatoes and mozzarella foam on top of pasta.
– 300g Kale
– 15g Peeled Almonds
– 80g Grated Parmesan cheese
– 1 Garlic
– 150g Buffalo Mozzarella
– Cherry Tomatoes
– Black Pepper
– Olive Oil & Salt
1. Wash the kale leaves. Cook them in a large pot of boiling salted water until wilted
2. Use tongs to transfer cooked kale leaves to a bowl with cold water and ice to keep their bright green color. Keep water boiling to cook pasta in it once the pesto will be ready
3. Wring out excess water from kale with a fork
4. Toast the peeled almonds in a pan for 1 minute until golden brown
5. Blend together kale, olive oil, grated parmesan, peeled garlic, toasted almonds until very smooth. Add a bit of water where you cooked kales as needed
6. Taste and adjust flavor as needed. Transfer pesto to a large bowl.
7. Wash and dry the tomatoes. Roast them in the oven (or in a grill) at 180 degrees C for around 30 minutes, flipping them every 5 to 10 minutes or so, until they are soft. Remove their skin with a fork, then mash the tomato pulp with the fork. Add salt, black pepper and olive oil as needed.
Buffalo Mozzarella Foam
8. Cut buffalo mozzarella in small pieces, use a blender to mix them with a little milk. Once done, add olive oil & salt and combine well with a spoon.
9. Cook pasta in the same water that the kale has been cooked in. Be sure water is boiling before pouring pasta into it, stir it well and cook until al dente. Add a small amount of the pasta cooking water to thin the pesto if it is too thick
10. Drain cooked pasta well in a colander, reserving 1 cup of the pasta’s cooking water just in case you’ll need it. Add the pasta to the pesto in the bowl. Toss to combine, and add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
11. Garnish each pasta serving with roasted cherry tomatoes and mozzarella foam. Serve immediately.
- Pasta cooked properly should be al dente, a little firm to the bite. Check the cooking time on the package, but I advise to cook pasta 2 minutes less than what’s written on it. Taste pasta before draining to make sure the texture is right.
- How to peel almonds: place the raw almonds into the boiling water and let them boil for exactly one minute. Transfer them in a bowl with cold water. Remove the skin.
- You can prepare the pesto a day before. Put it in a jar, drizzle a little olive oil over the top before closing it. Keep it in the fridge.
Follow me on instagram to be always updated on my trips and food experiences.