Where I come from, south of Italy, September and October are the best months to collect mushrooms and snails! Both are a dish that we can’t wait to eat after the summer :) Have you ever eat snails?
If you are travelling in Italy in autumn and if you want to pick snails up from the land, here is my mother’s recipe to cook them.
Ingredients for 4 people
– 1 kg of snails
– 500 g peeled tomatoes, large pieces
– half onion
– a fresh red chilli
– a sprinkling of black pepper
– a sprinkling of oregano
– a pinch of salt
Olive oil for the tomatoes sauce and toothpick to eat snails.
1) Put the snails in a colander and cover it well with a plate, so they have no way to escape. Leave them for at least 2-3 days, washing all very well every day. – This is important to clean their interior organic system. –
2) Preparare the tomatoes sauce: sauté in a pan the onion cutted in half, with olive oil. When it is browned, add: peeled tomatoes, a sprinkle of black pepper and oregano, cutted fresh chilli and a pinch of salt suit to your taste. Cook the sauce for at least 35 minutes by adding, from time to time, a little of warm water. The sauce should be watery.
3) Wash the snails very well with plenty of water and boil them for a few minutes – throw the snails in the water when it is still cold. –
5) Drain the snails well, put them in the tomatoes sauce and cook them in a medium temperature for 10-15 minutes.
6) Serve and eat snails with the help of a toothpick.
Follow me on instagram to be always updated on my trips and food experiences.