We all know the classic ‘Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino’ recipe which is really good and super-easy to make. Today I wanted to make it in a different way, so I used a black garlic head in addition to a clove of the white one. The result is a delicate combination of spicy and sweet flavour that I personally loved.
The black garlic has a soft, slightly chewy texture. It contains higher amounts of antioxidants and fiber than the white one.
The classic ‘Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino’ is also known as ‘Midnight Spaghetti’ because we Italians usually cook it at late night when we come back home hungry from a night out.
Ingredients for 2 people
1 Black garlic head*
1 Clove white garlic
3 Anchovies (optional)
1 Fresh Chili
A sprinkling of dry chili
Parsley with stems
View this post on Instagram
- Peel the black garlic and mash it with the heel of the knife
- In a large pan, sauté gently the poached white garlic clove, the (previously washed) parsley stems**, the anchovies and the dry chili with EVO oil over a low heat. Cook them slowly
- After a few minutes, once the oil is flavoured, remove the parsley stems and the other ingredients from the oil
- Add in the flavoured oil the black garlic mash and the fresh chili cut into small pieces. Sauté them over a low heat for a few minutes
- Set a large pot of water to boil over high heat, add salt once it starts boiling
- Cook the past in boiling salted water until it s is barely al dente (2-3 minutes will be enough). We will finish cooking the pasta in the pan***
- Use tongs to transfer boiled pasta into the pan with the flavour oil, black garlic and fresh chili. Reserve the cooking water
- Add a little of starchy boiling pasta water in the pan and toss continuously over high heat. Once the water will be absorbed, add a little more water, toss and repeat it until pasta is cooked “al dente”**** – At the end, the water needs to be completely absorbed, the pasta is cooked with a creamy consistency
- Add fresh parsley and serve immediately
- Follow me on instagram to be always updated on my trips and food experiences.
* You can buy the black garlic on Amazon
**Parsley stems give more flavour.
***This cooking technique, called “mantecare”, causes the starch inside the pasta to get released creating a creamy consistency. It can be used for oil-based sauces only such as Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino and creamy sauces such as Cacio e Pepe or Spaghetti alle Vongole.
**** To make pasta al dente, cook it about two minutes short of the cooking time written on the box. Start counting the minutes from when you put it in boing water.
[I may earn a small commission if you will make a purchase through the Amazon links added in this page. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you tips and information about food and travels. Thanks :]